History of Friends of Ypsilanti District Library
The Friends of the Ypsilanti District Library were formed in 1958 to support the activities of the library. In 1958, the library's home was in Starkweather House, a private residence donated to the library in 1898, thirty years after the formation of the library. Shortly thereafter the library was given the opportunity to take possession of the former U.S. Post Office at 229 W. Michigan Avenue, which it did in 1963. The Friends began holding used book sales at this facility. At first, the book sales were held just once a year, but later they were held on a monthly basis. Once the Peters branch basement became available to the library, the Friends' book sales expanded to twice a month, continuing to raise funds for the library.
In the 1990s, the Friends were called upon to provide special leadership and assistance with the creation of a new library and the renovation of the Michigan Avenue facility. They provided support for the millage and bond issue vote, donated funds to enhance the Quiet Study Area at Whittaker Road and the Youth Department of Michigan Avenue. In 2006, Superior Township joined the district and a new library location on MacArthur Boulevard was opened in February 2007.
The first Friends Book Shop was unveiled January 27, 2002 at YDL-Whittaker Road. In August 2008, the Friends Shop reopened in a new location adjacent to the check-out desk and continues to raise money to support library activities.
Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State
'Auschwitz: inside the Nazi state' is the result of three years of research, drawing on the close involvement of world experts, recently discovered documents and nearly 100 interviews with camp survivors and perpetrators, many of whom are speaking on the record for the first time.