4:00 – 4:35 pm Perry School
4:50 – 5:25 pm Forrest Knoll Apartments
5:35 – 6:10 pm Kirk & Jones
6:35 – 7:10 pm Burns Park
7:20 – 7:55 pm Colony Way
4:00 – 4:35 pm Nancy Park
4:50 – 5:25 pm Village Grove Apartments
5:35 – 6:10 pm Tyler & Buick
6:35 – 7:10 pm Lakeshore Apartments
7:20 – 7:55 pm Lakeview Mobile Homes
4:00 – 4:35 pm Devonshire & Russell
4:50 – 5:25 pm Bromley Park (Gotfredson & Avondale)
5:35 – 6:10 pm Oakbrook Park
6:35 – 7:10 pm Oak St. & Maple Ct.
7:20 – 7:55 pm Maplewood & Oaklawn
4:00 – 4:35 pm Greenbriar Estates
4:50 – 5:25 pm Huron Heights (off Clark)
5:35 – 6:10 pm Witmire & Courtland
6:35 – 7:10 pm Dexter & Eastlawn
7:20 – 7:55 pm Sherman & Wallace
About the Bookmobile
The Bookmobile is a unique “library on wheels” that brings library materials to people. By taking library service all over our community, the Bookmobile breaks down barriers of unfamiliarity and access, reaching people who cannot get to a library building due to physical, economic, social, or geographic reasons. The primary functions of the bookmobile are to:
- Schedule bookmobile stops in areas of high concentrations of people, according to criteria outlined in the policy statement
- Offer current popular materials and reference information for people of all ages
- Promote basic literacy and a lifelong desire to read
- Present programs to encourage continued use of the library, particularly for children
- Introduce readers to library services
- Provide personalized library service in a cozy, friendly environment
- Generate a positive image of the library as a whole by being highly visible throughout the entire community
The Bookmobile is not a replacement to traditional library services, but functions as an alternative outreach service.
The Bookmobile arrived in February of 2008.
- 36′ long, 11′-11″ tall
- Equipped with a seating area for storytimes and book browsing
- Carries over 3,000 books, movies, CDs, and magazines
- For all ages
- Makes an average of 90 stops per month
- Circulates an average of 1,859 items per month
To request an item to be delivered to you at one of our regular stops, please contact a staff member at (734) 482-4110 x1359. Please make requests must at least 24 hours before your scheduled stop.
The Bookmobile is able to provide special visits outside of its scheduled stop times. The visits include a tour, explanation of library services, and materials checked out if needed. Some examples include Downtown Halloween, Touch a Truck, preschools, daycares, public, and private schools.
Off Road Conditions
Occasionally, the Bookmobile will be out of service for maintenance, holiday closings, or inclement weather. Status updates will be posted on this page and on Facebook. You may also call us at (734) 482-4110 x1359 to check the status of the Bookmobile. If you would like to be called or emailed when the Bookmobile is going to miss its stop in your neighborhood, please call or email us.
If you have materials to return that are due on a day that we are off the road, you may return them on the next scheduled visit without accruing any fines. If you return them to another YDL facility, please inform the staff of your scheduled stop location and date missed in order to waive any fines.
If you have any questions regarding the YDL Bookmobile service please telephone us at (734) 482-4110 x1359 or email us.