Know your rights: Immigration Enforcement
Michigan Immigrants Rights Center (MIRC) has released a comprehensive guide entitled, “Preparing your family for immigration enforcement.” Print copies of this guide will be available for free at all YDL Branches in English, Spanish, and Arabic. Electronic copies in English, Spanish, Arabic, Bangla, and French are available on the MIRC website.
The guide focuses on navigating your rights throughout any immigration enforcement encounter, whether it be before, during, or after a raid.
- An outline for creating an emergency plan.
- Short scripts and advice for interrogation situations.
- Multi-lingual, Printable “know your rights” cards that can be shown to Immigration enforcement agents.
- A contact listing of Non-profit immigration Legal service providers.
- Sample forms including power of attorney, consent of care for children, emergency contact lists, and medical information.
- An outline of relevant government entities and detention centers as well as guidelines for contacting someone who is detained.
The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) is a legal resource and advocacy center for Michigan’s immigrants. MIRC works to build a thriving Michigan where immigrant communities experience equal justice and are fully integrated and respected.
The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center is a program of Michigan Statewide Advocacy Services and Michigan Advocacy Program.