Kanopy is Now Free for YDL Cardholders
YDL has added Kanopy to our list of digital resources. This streaming service has nearly 30,000 movies and other videos that inspire, educate and entertain. Free to library cardholders, Kanopy’s unique selection offers something for everyone, from award winning indie films to important and timely documentaries, to foreign films, popular cinema, children’s shows and more.
Watching titles on Kanopy:
With your YDL account, you get 10 play credits each month. There is a “play credit counter” in the top of your screen that lets you know how many credits you have remaining for the month.
- A play credit is logged once at least 5 seconds of a video has been played. Once a play credit is logged, you will have a full 3 days (72 hours) to watch the video as many times as you would like without using another play credit.
- If you use all available play credits for the month you will not be able to play any videos until the 1st of the next month when your play credits reset.
- Videos from the Kanopy Kids section will not require any play credits to view. Feel free to watch as many videos from Kanopy Kids as you’d like without seeing a reduction in your play credits!
- From time to time, you’ll see a “Credit-Free” shelf on the Kanopy homepage. You will be able to view the videos on this shelf without using any of your play credits.
- Visit the Kanopy Help Page for more information about how play credits work.
Here’s How to Sign Up:
Signing up for a Kanopy account through YDL is easy.
- Visit Kanopy’s website, then click “Add Library Card”
- Enter your library card number and PIN
- Create an account with your preferred email
- Start streaming!
What Can You Watch On Kanopy?
There’s something for everyone. The most popular titles on Kanopy in 2020 by genre include the following:
- Comedy: What We Do in the Shadows
- Horror: Midsommar
- Drama: The Bookshop
- Documentary: I Am Not Your Negro
- Foreign Language: Seven Samurai
- Classic: Dial M for Murder
- Romance: The Tomorrow Man
- Animation: Loving Vincent
- Short: The Phone Call
- Sci-Fi: Under the Skin
- Thriller: Eye in the Sky
- Kids: Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
- Series: Alone
- Miniseries: Roots