Getting kids reading with the Ypsilanti District Library
The Ypsilanti District Library (YDL) is seeking summer camps and summer school programs to become Summer Challenge Champions with the library. Together, we can bring more reading opportunities into our community, improving reading scores and preventing the summer learning slide. This program ensures that students who may otherwise not read over the summer will be involved in daily reading activities.
YDL will provide the structure and tools to get kids reading, and Summer Challenge Champions (SCC) will ensure every child in their care has the chance to read and listen to books every day.
YDL will provide Summer Challenge Champions with the following:
- Bin of high-interest books to use during the summer
- Designated YDL staff person as support
- Poster for tracking reading as a group
- Sign-up prizes and finishing prizes to each student who participates
- Staff guest reader during the first weeks of the summer
- Three Bookmobile visits during the summer
Summer Challenge Champions commit to:
- Sign up your site for YDL’s Summer Challenge, which makes kids eligible to win prizes as a reward for reading all summer
- Read aloud 20 minutes each day and track reading on the provided log
- For full day summer camp sites, set aside 20 minutes each day for students to read independently or with a reading buddy
We hope you’ll join us in bringing more learning opportunities to our kids! For more information, please contact Mary Garboden at 734.482.4110, x1316 or email email@example.com.