Tax Preparation Help at YDL
As in years past, YDL offers options to help qualifying individuals get their taxes prepared. This page will be updated as availability and services change.
Tax assistance options from certified volunteers
Update – all appointments are currently booked. To be added to the wait list, please contact staff at 734-482-4110, x2411.
AARP tax appointments are offered on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Michigan Avenue location and Thursdays at the Whittaker Rd location. Clients will need to pick up a packet from the branch where their appointment will be and fill it out prior to their appointment. During their appointment, clients will remain in the library. At the end of the appointment, providing all information is complete, clients will be able to sign off on their taxes and will not need to return again. Appointments are limited; please call for availability and eligibility.
- YDL-Michigan: 734-482-4110, x2421; appointments run February 7-April 11, 2023
- YDL-Whittaker: 734-482-4110, x2411; appointments run February 3-April 7, 2023
If you need to cancel your appointment, please call the library at least 24 hours in advance.
What to Bring to your appointment
Bring with you:
- Charged cell phone
- Filled out intake form in tax packet
- Driver’s license or other government issued photo ID
- Social Security card or Social Security statement (SSA-1099) and birthdates for yourself, spouse, and dependents
- If filing jointly, both spouses must be present and both have government issued photo ID and SS card or statement
- 2021 tax return
- All W-2s and 1099s for proof of income
- Voided bank check for direct deposit or bank letter with your name and account & routing numbers
- Gambling winnings, prizes, alimony
- 1095-A if you received Affordable Care Act insurance
- All other tax documents such as 1095-A, 1098-T, 1098-E, bank interest statement
If applying for Homestead Property Tax Credit, bring:
- 2022 Summer and Winter Property Tax statements
- If renting, proof of paid rent, landlord’s name and address
- If paying PIP coverage, bring auto insurance statement to show coverage, or AARP will use default value
If applying for Home heating Credit, bring:
- December, January, or February DTE bill indicating total amount paid from 11/2021-10/2022, or AARP will use standard credit
United Way of Washtenaw County
United Way of Washtenaw County provides services through VITA, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. This free program is available by appointment to people who qualify. For more information, call 211 or click here.
Get help from an IRS-certified volunteer to prepare your tax return from the comfort of your home. This service is for individuals who are comfortable with computers or smart devices including tablets or phone and have access to reliable internet. This service is available for households with incomes of $66,000 or less. Click here to get started.
The following tax forms are available at YDL buildings.
- Michigan 1040 Instructions & Forms booklet
- Federal 1040/1040-SR Instructions booklet
- Federal 1040 forms
- Federal 1040-SR forms
Please check back again soon as additional forms are added.
Find and print forms from the IRS website here.
Find and print forms from the State of Michigan’s website here.
A secure, do-it-yourself service available for individuals and families. This service is for individuals who are comfortable answering questions about their finances or have used self-prepared tax preparation software before.