Phase 3 of our Next Chapter Campaign has begun! Starting Oct. 1, a generous local foundation is matching every dollar you give (up to $100,000). Help us build the new library that our community wants and needs!
There have been 1,866 new card signups in 2021. If each person who got a new library card this year donated $10, we’d have almost $20,000–nearly a quarter of what we need to meet the $100,000 matching goal!
- The construction costs for the new library, set to open later in 2022, are around $5.5M.
- The Library Board has earmarked $3.5M for the project, with a goal of $2M from fundraising.
- The Next Chapter campaign raised just over $1.5M during its “quiet phase.”
- The public crowdfunding campaign that launched June 1 has raised around $120,000 of the $500,000 in additional funds remaining to reach the $2M goal.
Campaign proceeds will ensure the new library still opens with all the amenities the community requested, even after COVID delays and skyrocketing construction costs more than doubled the initial 2018 construction budget of $2.3M.
“We want this library to be special, and to open with everything our community asked for, including a drive-up book return and outdoor programming area, in spite of the increased cost,” said Hoenig.
Supply chain issues in the construction industry and other COVID-related uncertainties have made building the new library a challenge. Despite this, YDL is determined to give Superior Township residents the library they deserve.
The new, full-service branch will improve library access in Superior Township and Willow Run. The new 7,800 sq. ft. building will replace the “temporary” 1,000 square foot space on MacArthur Boulevard that’s been used since 2007.
How to contribute
- Donate online at ypsilibrary.org/nextchapter
- Mail checks made out to Ypsilanti District Library to: Next Chapter Capital Campaign / Ypsilanti District Library / 5577 Whittaker Road / Ypsilanti, Michigan, 48197
- Contact Library Director Lisa Hoenig to discuss sponsorship and naming opportunities at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 734-879-1300.